Synthetic Motor Oil

Dear P2Tech,

   I have just been searching the Internet for information on synthetic
automobile motor oil, or other environmentally friendly motor oil
substitutes.
I found lots of promotional material on synthetic motor oil, and, of
course, it
all sounds pretty good.  But not one word about drawbacks.

   Is there more balanced information - cons if any as well as pros -  on
this
product?  I'd love to use it if it is less harmful to the environment and
will
do no harm to my 9-year-old auto.

Thanks and Happy New Year, y'all

Barbara Bloomfield, PADEP, Southeastern Region