FW: Dirty Mop Water

Just forwarding this to the list serve - I think it was supposed to land there.

----------
From:  Mike[SMTP:mail115460@pop.net]
Sent:  Monday, January 04, 1999 1:25 PM
To:  Catherine Dickerson
Subject:  RE: Dirty Mop Water

It would be interesting to know the size of the machine tools and the size
of the parts being handled.  If we are talking about parts that weigh a few
pounds, then many of the comments are quite valid.  If we are talking about
parts that weigh many tons, typically found in heavy manufacturing
operations, then use of a manual mopping operation may still be the most
cost effective.  I would think that you only need to test every 6 to 12
months.  How much water is generated.  Depending on volume, and cost, you
may already have the best solution.

What has not been brought up is the safety factor associated with mopping
floors with cutting fluids.  This is the slickest stuff I have ever tried
to work or walk on.  To me, the safety of the worker and its influence on
the final decision should carry considerable weight compared to P2
considerations and the potential savings of a few dollars.

Older factories in America used for years something called wood block
flooring.  It is not very pretty, but after 20+ years in most kinds of
manufacturing operations, I have concluded that it is a good and effective
solution for this kind of problem in select applications.

Need to go back to work.  With more technical details maybe there is a
absolute answer to this problem that plagues so many shops.

I currently work with 4 to 500 auto repair type shops.  We use in many
applications, sweeping, squeege, and even a wet vac to pick up this kind of
material.  The volume is much less and source is not nearly as persistent
as what you may be dealing with.

If this water has ever tested hazardous then we should know what for.  That
would influence the final decision.

Ralph Cooper are you out there.  I would think you have a few thoughts on
this.  I have by the way started a conversation with Kin Slaughter.  Thanks
for the introduction.

At 09:24 AM 1/4/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Mary,
>
>Maybe mopping a bit less and targeted cleanups would help some.  While we
were putting together some information for auto repair shops, one of the
shop owners I talked to said that they no longer mop their floors.
Instead, they rely on sweeping and "squeegee-ing" up spills.  You could try
using a squeegee and a dustpan to "sweep" up the spill.  Then, add the
liquid to the
>appropriate waste container.  Just a thought.
>
>cmd

Michael R. James
James Environmental Management, Inc.
2007 North Mays  Ste 101