Fwd: Re: Synthetic Motor Oil

>Subject: Re: Synthetic Motor Oil
>
>What are the cost issues involved in the handling and disposal of the
synthetic motor oil?  These costs need to be figured into the total cost in
your analysis.  I believe there are nine states (including Massachusetts)
that regulate used oil as a listed hazardous waste.  Does this oil qualify
for this added disposal cost?  Can it be recycled like natural motor oils?
It there an infrastructure available for doing this?  What are the
activity-based costs in managing this material?  How much experience does
industry have using these synthetic oils?  There may be some resistance to
use them in expensive machinery with the thought of sacrificing the
machinery and the lost production time.  Would you use the synthetic oil in
a brand new >$20,000 automobile vs. a seven year old model?  One last point
to consider is the life cycle impacts of the oil at the first tier supplier
level.  What pollution is generated per unit volume in comparison to the
pollution at the lubrication production at a refinery?  If the issues
stated above are equal, the statement can be made that "the costs over the
long-haul are pretty much equal."  Just a thought!

>At 09:45 AM 1/5/99 -0600, you wrote:
>>

>>Barbara,
>>
>>Synthetic motor oil is better than conventional oils because it is more
>>resistant to degredation due to high temperatures, it provides better heat
>>transfer within the engine (allowing the engine to run cooler), it reduces
>>friction which improves gas mileage and provides better cold-weather
>>starts.  All of these things helps to reduce emissions from the vehicle.
>>The bad thing about synthetic oil is it usually costs twice as much as
>>conventional oils.
>>
>>However, many manufactures of the synthetic oil claim that synthetic oil
>>provides longer intervals between oil changes since to oil is so resistant
>>to degredation (6,000 to 10,000 miles instead if the usual 3,000).  So the
>>costs over the long-haul are pretty much equal.
>>
>>In fact I started using synthetic oil in my 7-year old car and I found that
>>the costs are equal (I pay twice as much for the oil but I change the oil
>>once every 8,000 miles instead of once every 4,000 miles).

Bob

Dr. Robert B. Pojasek
Pojasek & Associates
P.O. Box 1333