RE: FW: Dirty Mop Water

I think you under estimate the resolve of industry.  As a matter of fact
there is a company in Oregon that painted the entire facility white inside
- machines, walls, and floors to keep all leaks and spills VISIBLE to all.
They used the FIVE S's to prevent all spills and leaks.  You do this by
using root cause analysis and aks the question, WHY AM I HAVING SPILLS AND
LEAKS?  This is a very good question, you know.  Then they do amazing
things like fixing the machines and designing baffles and other devices to
stop not some, but all, spills and leaks.  I can name about 10 firms in
Washington and Oregon using the FIVE's right now with great results.  Some
of them are major paper mills that are trying to eliminate ALL black liquor
spills and coming very close - because it is UNACCEPTABLE to have such
spills in these companies.  POKA-YOKE keeps the spills from occurring
again.  These ARE resonable suggestions.  Your suggestions were reasonable
only if you do not wish to encourage PREVENTION.  If you want , I can give
you some facility names off line so you can go and visit them (without the
squeege).  Some very small firms are doing this as well.  It doesn't take a
lot of money and the NIST MEP's can help.

t 01:28 PM 1/5/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Bob,
>
>I agree wholeheartedly that prevention is the way to go.  However, no
matter how good your processs or how well designed you plant is, there are
going to be leaks at some point in time.  As far as I know, any plant that
has never had a machine leak, or never needed to clean up a spill, is
likely not running.  In those cases, I'd recommend a sqeegee approach is a
good alternative, as long as it is feasible, then mopping.  I don't think
we should avoid providing a reasonable suggestion to situtations that we
know are going to happen, and advocate prevention as the only answer.  The
best laid plans...