Re: crematoria

Interesting!   In the early 80's I worked for Midwest Research Institute in Kansas City.  The Institute was contracted by the EPA Office of Toxic Substances to collect post mortem human adipose tissue samples from over 400 pathologist throughout the county and analysis for BCCs such as PCB, Dioxin and other pesticides.   Many of the adipose tissue samples did test positive for dioxin at 10 ppt.  I guess, if you start cremating some of us overweight people who have been around for a while, you could have dioxin emissions on the order of ten to the minus 13 kilograms per pound of body.

John L. Lovelace
Environmental Manager II
Compliance and Technical Asssistance Program
Office of Pollution Prevention and Technical Assistance
Indiana Department of Environmental Manager
(317) 233-1042 or (800) 451-6027 Ext. 3-1042

>>> "Kirsten Sinclair Rosselot" <rosselot@ix.netcom.com> 12/30/98 12:17AM >>>
According to the L&E document for dioxins and furans ("Locating and
Estimating Air Emissions from Sources of Dioxins and Furans (Draft)," U.S.
EPA, May 1996), crematories are a source of dioxin and furan emissions.

Incomplete combustion, don't you know....  I've wondered if maybe it wasn't
the materials burned with the bodies (clothing, containers, etc.) that
caused the dioxin and furan emissions, or perhaps things like artificial
hips made of plastic.  Emissions could depend on factors such as body
composition, too, I suspect.

The quantities of dioxins and furans emitted are tiny -- on the order of ten
to the minus 13 kilograms per pound of body.  However, even tiny amounts of
these compounds can be cause for concern.

Kirsten Sinclair Rosselot, P.E.
Process Profiles
P.O. Box 8264
Calabasas, CA 91372-8264