From: Burton Hamner [mailto:bhamner@mindspring.com]
Sent: Monday, January 04, 1999 11:38 AM
To: P2tech@great-lakes.net; RREU461@ecy.wa.gov
Subject: Re: acetone

Lots of boat builders in Pacific NW have switched to DBE as an acetone
substitute.  However I recall one firm that decided NOT to use it
because two out of about 100 workers had very bad skin reactions to the
stuff.

Unfortunately I can't recall at the moment just what else they decided
to use, I will forward this to my friend Rob Reuter at WA Dept of
Ecology who knows all about this.  Anyway, 'tis another recurring lesson
in caution re substitutions.

Burt

At 09:41 AM 1/4/99 -0500, Jeff Pico wrote:
>Dick,
>
>I recall reading about a boat builder in NJ that replaced acetone  as a
cleaning solvent with di-basic ester. I will attempt to dig up some
details, or a contact name.

>Regards,
>
>Jeff Pico
>NJIT
>
>> Searching for the Holy Grail ..... an effective, non haz substitute
>> for acetone used in equipment cleanup for fiberglass boatbuilders.
>> Some substitutes being used by Florida boat manufactures with
>> apparently satisfactory results include propylene carbonate, S-280
and
>> Super Red. Would be interested in any pros/cons re these three
>> substitutes or any other successful cleanup solvent.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Dick Burns
>> FDEP Central District P2 Coordinator

Burton Hamner
- Adjunct Professor, Asian Institute of Management, Manila, Philippines
- President, Hamner Associates, LLC
4343 4th Avenue NW, Seattle, Washington, 98107
tel/fax: 206-789-5499
email:  bhamner@mindspring.com
web:  http://www.mindspring.com/~bhamner