Re: Dirty Mop Water and Poka-Yoke

Mary,

My advice is similar to my recommendations to auto repair shop employees.
Stop using any water for cleaning - it only increases the volume of
disposable material.

First, improve housekeeping and shop practices to minimize the accumulation
and occurrences of spills.

Second, use a non-chlorinated absorbent material and sweep with a broom and
dust pan.  Store and reuse in a white plastic bucket (usually available for
free from donut shops.)  Eventually, the accumulated material can be tested
and disposed of properly.

Third, for larger spills or hand cleaning, use shop rags which are
laundered by a linen service.

This advice, once implemented, should greatly reduce the accumulation and
associated liability for the shop yet encourage sound P2 practices.

I hope this is helpful to you.  Please let me know what you decide to
implement.

John

John A. Bernardo
P2 Coordinator, Idaho DEQ