RE: Site Visits

Bob,

I find your response very interesting.  First off, I am not an "a" man.  I
am not a "b" man.  As a consultant, I try to adopt the approach that is most
effective for my client.  Every approach has its strengths and weaknesses,
and one approach is not right for every situation.

But if I had to choose, I would go with "b" more times than not.  Without a
solid knowledge of cause and effect, the blind adoption of alternatives can
lead you into trouble. Perhaps the EPA WMOA guide did not talk about cause
and effect diagrams, but it did stress the importance of mass and material
balances.  Any chemical engineer will tell you that to construct a detailed
and accurate balance, you really need to understand the process.  Once you
understand the process, the ways to eliminate waste almost become
self-evident.

I also agree with some of your comments regarding state and federal
programs.  Judging success by the number of alternatives offered is wrong.
You have to judge success by the number of alternatives implemented and the
amount of waste avoided. Programs should seek out ways to motivate people to
act. I know many states took the "a" approach because shops will always use
the "lack of information" excuse for not doing anything.  The truth is we
are flooded with information, what we lack is motivation. If the "b"
approach motivates people to act, then it's the better approach.

Where we do differ though is in our views of history.  I believe you are
stating there is the "a" approach, as presented in the two EPA guides, and
the "b" quality-based approach you began teaching at Tufts.  Since both
started at about the same time, there was no split.

The problem with your statement is that it shows a lack of understanding as
to what was presented in the two EPA guides.  Figure 3-1 of the WMOA guide
clearly shows that you start with the recognized need to minimize waste and
you end with successfully implemented projects. The evaluation of project
performance and the reevaluation of previous options are also part of the
overall procedure.  This sounds very much like a program rather than a
one-time assessment conducted by outsiders.

And as for the "b" approach, where does it say in these guides that this
approach cannot be used ?  I'll argue that the guides support the "b"
approach much more than they do the "a" approach.  Should the guides have
been more specific in providing tools and examples ?  Absolutely yes.  Did
people become much more wrapped up in filling out forms than in
understanding the concept and intent ?  Most likely so.

Therefore, how do we get back on track ?  Should P2 be taken away from the
environmental groups and be given to the quality groups ?  Should the
environmental groups just let the quality groups take it ?  Should
governments role in such programs be curtailed because it often leads to "a"
type thinking ?
Can a "b" approach work without upsets if there was no "a" type information
available for benchmarking ?

So many questions. Looks like I better melt my asbestos suit (treatment) and
put on some Nomex (substitution).