RE: Site Visits

Bob,

I agree with all you've said.  It's also good to hear that these methods are
being incorporated into a new guide. I've always viewed the WMOA guide as a
start, to be built upon and improved.  I also believed that the general
approach could be applied to all wastes (i.e., air, water, solids, excess
energy, excess labor) and not just hazardous wastes. The potential for
environmental programs to improve all aspects of production was enormous.

Unfortunately, the regulatory mindset did not allow this to happen.  We had
to wait for new definitions and rules (the P2 Act) before many people could
break out of the box.  The rush for every agency to generate countless
industry specific guides helped foster the "a" approach.  Then there is the
problem of how many in management view their environmental programs.  The
stigma of command and control is hard to shake.

So if we need to adopt new terminology and work with the quality programs to
foster P2, let's do it.  The P2 movement is still very young and its way too
soon to be set in our ways.  If P2/quality is to succeed, we need to be
flexible and adaptable. I too would like to hear others input on this topic.