[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

RE: Regarding Wood waste

RCRA exempts such hazardous materials under conditions listed in Part
261.4(b)(9).  Check this regulation, but probably the logs could be marketed
or handled through an industrial materials exchange.  Such exchanges can be
found on the internet at sites like

	"As a man begins to live more seriously within, he begins to live
more simply without."  
	--Ralph Waldo Emerson

	Judy Kennedy
	Washington State Dept. of Ecology (http://www.wa.gov/ecology)
	P.O. Box 47600
	Olympia, WA  98504-7600
	Phone (360) 407-6744
	FAX (360) 407-6715
	Email:  jken461@ecy.wa.gov

> -----Original Message-----
> From:	List Manager [SMTP:listman@wmrc.hazard.uiuc.edu]
> Sent:	Thursday, January 28, 1999 1:14 AM
> To:	p2tech@great-lakes.net
> Subject:	Fwd: Regarding Wood waste
> Can anyone help with the following questions?
> Thanks,
> Lisa
> >From: "Ashwin Arumugham" <eadc_rd7@ise.ufl.edu>
> >Organization: Industrial Assessment Center
> >To: listman@wmrc.hazard.uiuc.edu
> >Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 14:59:10 +0000
> >Subject: Regarding Wood waste
> >Reply-to: eadc_rd7@ise.ufl.edu
> >X-Confirm-Reading-To: eadc_rd7@ise.ufl.edu
> >X-pmrqc: 1
> >Priority: urgent
> >
> >Dear Ms. Lisa
> >
> >How are you? I would like to introduce myself as Ashwin Arumugham 
> >from the Industrial Assessment Center, University of Florida, 
> >Gainesville. We are funded by the USDOE and are working under Rutgers 
> >University, Piscataway. We perform energy audits for medium sized 
> >manufacturing companies and come up with cost savings. We also look 
> >in to productivity and waste.
> >
> >This is regarding a particular company that we had visited last week. 
> >They manufacture utility poles and marine pilings. Basically it is a 
> >lumber company. After drying the lumber, they treat it with a 
> >chemical known as CCA ie Chromated  Copper Arsenate which is a 
> >highly hazardeous chemical. After treating it, they cut it to the 
> >required dimension and sometimes they are left off with 5 foot logs. 
> >I would like to know as to what can done with these logs as far as 
> >recycling it or selling it as scrap keeping in mind that the treated 
> >wood has the hazardeous chemical in it. Sometimes even before 
> >treating the wood, they have these 5 foot logs.
> >
> >Another point that we are considering to look into is the chemical 
> >treatment cylinder. It is about 6-8 feet in diameter and about 40 
> >feet long. It has a single door like the door for a bank vault. 
> >It has about 130-135 bolts that have to be manually removed and put 
> >on everytime they open it and close it. This is a time consuming 
> >process and hence we would like to recommend them to have a better 
> >door mechanism, so i would like to know what sort of a recommendation 
> >can be given in this case.
> >
> >For quality control, they take a small sample from each and every log 
> >and see if the chemical has penetrated to the required depth 
> >(3 inches) and if the quantity of chemical is to the required level. 
> >If they find out that it requires some more treatment, then it is put 
> >back into the cylinder again. This rework takes a lot of time and 
> >creates a bottleneck. Is there any way where the quantity of chemical 
> >that penetrates the wood can be determined constantly without having 
> >to remove the logs and take samples and check it out. If there was 
> >any equipment or device that can do this, it will save a lot of 
> >process time.
> >
> >I would like to know as to what sort of a recommendation can be 
> >given and what necessary steps can be taken in this regard. I would 
> >appreciate it if you could help me out in this regard as soon as 
> >possible.
> >
> >Thank you very much
> >
> >Yours truly
> >Ashwin Arumugham
> >Team Leader
> >405 WEIL HALL
> >
> >PHONE: 1-352-392-7690
> >FAX  : 1-352-392-3537
> >EMAIL: eadc_rd7@ise.ufl.edu
> >