Fwd: Regarding Wood waste

I co-author a pollution prevention analysis paper (for an Environmentally
Conscious Manufacturing course) including reference to the extended producer
responsibility concept for a local CCA wood preserver. Here are some
articles you may want to reference:

Gove, Charles and P. Aarne Vesilind. Application of Pollution Prevention
Technologies to the Wood Preserving Industry in N.C., N.C. Pollution
Prevention Pays Program, Dept. of NRCD, Raleigh, N.C., 1986.
Gove, Charles A. and P. Aarne Vesilind. Management of Wastes from Wood
Preserving Facilities, Duke University Dept. of Civil and Environmental
Engineering, Durham, NC, Undated.
Nicholas, Darrel D., Tor P. Schultz, "Biocides That Have Potential as Wood
Preservatives - An Overview," Forest Products Society Conference
Proceedings: Wood Preservation in the 90's and Beyond, Savannah, Georgia,
Sept. 26 - 28, 1994, pg. 170.
Wood Preserving Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) Compliance
Guide: A Guide to Federal Environmental Regulation, EPA/310/B-96/001,
Environmental Protection Agency, June 1996
Norton, J., "The Disposal of Preservative Treated Wood Waste A Literature
Review," Queensland Forest Service, Timber Research, pp. 28-29.
Guides to Pollution Prevention: Wood Preserving Industry (EPA/625/R-93/014),
Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Research and Development,
Washington, DC, November 1993.

You can also visit the Forest Products Laboratory on the Internet
(http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/) and look under publications. There are several
articles discussing alternative uses and recycling of treated wood (waste.)
I would suggest to the company that all forming operations take place prior
to treatment to reduce the amount of CAA treated wood waste. This waste is
an F035 (RCRA) listed waste.

--Lynn Odom

The world that we have created with our way of thinking has problems that
cannot be solved thinking the way we do now.
-- Albert Einstein

Sonja Lynn Odom
Graduate Research Assistant
USC - Dept. of Mechanical Engineering