RE: water usage

Terry,

This would be very useful and interesting, but it is very difficult to do.
So many factors enter into the water and energy usage picture.  I have a few
references from the 1950s that give water usage per unit of production.
There was also a recent book that gave water, energy, and resource
utilization for many industrial sectors.  This type of data is useful for
life cycle assessments because you can use the sectors as building blocks.

On an individual site level, we would need so much more info to make it
useful.  Water use would have to be broken out as fixed and variable use.
The fixed use might include info on number of employees, area of site
watered, and baseline heat load.  The variable use would tie to units of
production.  Energy usage should also be tracked because one site may use
large volumes of water for cooling while another uses refrigeration.

This said, I do believe there is a need for the development of good reliable
data.  One approach you might consider would be to draw up a very simple
block flow diagram and then apply various rules-of-thumb to establish water
and energy use.  The unknown loads can be estimated by subtracting your
estimated loads from the overall usage records.

For example, HVAC folks have lots of ways to estimate electric loads for
lighting, heating, cooling, and ventilating buildings.  Its all a matter of
connected load, number of people, site location, weather, and building
construction.  In a plating shop, you could figure out how much fixed energy
was used for these functions and then subtract it from total energy use.
This would then give you a handle on plating load.  Once you baseline the
shop, it would be easy to update the estimate for changes in work force,
equipment improvements, weather conditions, etc.

I know this approach is very crude and highly prone to error, but isn't it
better than just having one total number for electric load and not knowing
where anything is going ?  I also believe that one mistake people make with
this type of approach is that they expect too detailed an answer.  Since
they can't get it, they tell others it can't be done.  I think its doable if
we stay creative and give it a try.