RE: Regarding Wood waste

Lisa,

	Briefly,
	1.)  If the business cuts the logs to size prior to treating the
wood,  could some of the 5 foot logs be useful for landscaping at commercial
buildings, such as offices?  Or cut into "rustic" decorative fence for home
landscaping?  Or shred into mulch?  Another business in the same community
as the wood treatment firm might be interested in the untreated wood.  I
wonder if CCA treated logs would be as desirable as untreated wood for
landscaping/gardens/home use.
	2.)  Check with the steel industry or a university in steel
manufacturing country.  Places like Bethlehem Steel,  J & L Steel, and
others may have developed more efficient doors for blast furnaces.  Your
facility may be able to adapt the technology from another industry such as
steel makers.
	3.)  About 20-22 years ago,  Mellon Institute of Pittsburgh, I
think, had done some electron microscopy for a forest products company.  I
think, the work involved wood cell structure, including the small pores in
the wood and chemical preservative salts.  Perhaps this may be helpful.  I
have no contact names or numbers.
Might one of the universities with forest related studies be able to help?
Might there be screening techniques to evaluate wood & cell density prior to
the wood treatment process?  Then the preserving process may be adjusted to
suit the wood being treated.  Even position or spacing of the logs in the
treatment cylinder may be contributing to preservative penetration problems.

	Jo Anne Hollash		PA DEP - OPPCA  	15th FL, RCSOB	P.
O. Box 8772			Harrisburg, PA 17105-8772
	Voice   717-787-0121	Fax   717-783-2703	E-mail
hollash.joanne@dep.state.pa.us
	Please visit our Web Site:   http://www.dep.state.pa.us
Pollution is nothing but the resources we are not harvesting.  We allow them
to disperse because we've been ignorant of their value.
--	Buckminster Fuller