Re: Odor Prevention at Lift Stations

Judy Mirro,
Tammy Allen opened the subject a few days ago. You have a great deal of
experience in that area and offered suggestions for dealing with the odor. I
am interested in the problem but unfortunately I don't know one thing about
it. I inquired why the odor must be allowed to get out and was told that the
fumes presented a danger to maintenance personnel(I'm assuming that a lift
station is not occupied). Obviously that is an important consideration, but
that type of problem is dealt with safely in many other situations---OSHA
addresses it in detail. My question was: "Let me ask some questions since I
am not familiar with a waste water lift station. Are you pumping from one
underground waste pipe to another under ground waste pipe at a higher
elevation? Is venting to atmosphere
necessary or is it "just there". Why is there a vent? Can everything just
be sealed up? Can the atmospheric vent be changed to a closed vent, perhaps
with a blower, that ends up in the upper pipe?" I'm looking for an
opportunity to PREVENT POLLUTION. Prevent the fumes from polluting the air
and causing a nuisance. Prevent the addition of chemicals to mask the odors
that pollute the air. So, Judy, have you run into a sealed lift station? If
not, and knowing the requirements, do you believe one can be designed to be
sealed? Can existing ones easily be modified to be sealed?

Rudy Moehrbach
Waste Reduction Resource Center
Raleigh, NC
Tel 1-800-476-8686, Fax 919-715-1612