From: Bob Gould [mailto:b.gould@bceom.fr]
<mailto:[mailto:b.gould@bceom.fr]>
Sent: jeudi 28 janvier 1999 04:17
To: Garrette Clark
Subject: (pas d'objet)
Dear Ms. Clark,
Please find below some information on the above-referenced facility, as per
our telephone conversation. It is very urgent that we receive feedback on
this, as USAID would like to support the investments and oversee
installation of proposed CP techniques and/or technologies.
Name: C.S. Pigmenti S.A.
Products: inorganic pigments (used, for example, to make paints, at
another
facility), filling materials, additives for plastic production
Employees: 300
Process Profile
synthesis of inorganic pigments:
1) precipitation pigments: chromium yellow, chromium green, iron blue,
black iron oxide, zinc chromate, chromium phosphate, zinc phosphate

2) calcination pigments: green chromium oxide, brownish iron oxide

The plant is only operating at about 15 to 20 % of design capacity since
1990. In 1997, the plant produced 1,255 tons of inorganic pigments,
about 50
% of which was brownish iron oxide; 119 tons of zinc chromate; and 43
tons
of green chromium oxide. The inorganic pigments are the main concern for
this study, especially concerning the chromium containing pigments.
Chromium
is the main contaminant in the waste water.

A 'CP' audit was implemented at the facility in early November 1998. The
process for green chromium oxide, the principle process under study,
consists of the following steps:
* grinding of raw materials (including sodium bichromate - Na2Cr2O7)
* homogenization (mixing) of raw materials
* calcination & oxidation
* washing and decantation
* filtration
* drying
* sizing (grinding) of product
* separation of product by size
* packaging

About 50 % of the energy consumption was attributed to the air compressors
discharging at 6 to 7 atmospheres pressure (air is heated and used to dry
the pigments). This represents an opportunity for energy savings.
Pigmenti management is interested in a new process that has been installed
at a pigments plant in Hungary ('Tiszamenti Vegyimuvek Szolnok'), which was
visited by Pigmenti managers. The principal change is that it reduces the
use of sodium bichromate, and runs under alkaline (rather than acidic)
conditions, using sodium hydroxide (NaOH). The new process dramatically
reduces water consumption (by about 60 %). The new process requires a new
reactor. However, no contact has been possible with the Hungarian facility,
and so the technical feasibility of the new process cannot be confirmed.

It would be great if anyone has heard of this new process, as it seems
to be
very advantageous (that is, relatively short payback period). Otherwise,
what other CP measures have been applied at a facility like this one, other
than energy savings?
I can be contacted at the following e-mail address: b.gould@bceom.fr
<mailto:b.gould@bceom.fr>
Best regards,