Re: Odor Prevention at Lift Stations

In addition to concerns for sewer personnel exposed to accumulated
gases, sewer gases left to accumulate in air-tight environments can
create additional toxic gases and underground potential for explosion,
stagnation, and dead space in lines.  Aeration is a viable option to
reduce odor.  Many odors accumulate because of oxygen-deficient
environments.  The cost to retrofit old sewer systems (lines, stations,
can be astronomical for a municipality.)  Judy, I am still looking
forward to your additional information on pump rates, etc. for odor
prevention.

Tammy Allen
Pinellas County Pollution Prevention and Resource Recovery Program

>>> Rudy Moehrbach <Rudy_Moehrbach@p2pays.org> 01/29 9:04 AM >>>
Judy Mirro,
Tammy Allen opened the subject a few days ago. You have a great deal
of
experience in that area and offered suggestions for dealing with the
odor. I
am interested in the problem but unfortunately I don't know one thing
about
it. I inquired why the odor must be allowed to get out and was told
that the
fumes presented a danger to maintenance personnel(I'm assuming that a
lift
station is not occupied). Obviously that is an important consideration,
but
that type of problem is dealt with safely in many other
situations---OSHA
addresses it in detail. My question was: "Let me ask some questions
since I
am not familiar with a waste water lift station. Are you pumping from
one
underground waste pipe to another under ground waste pipe at a higher
elevation? Is venting to atmosphere
necessary or is it "just there". Why is there a vent? Can everything
just
be sealed up? Can the atmospheric vent be changed to a closed vent,
perhaps
with a blower, that ends up in the upper pipe?" I'm looking for an
opportunity to PREVENT POLLUTION. Prevent the fumes from polluting the
air
and causing a nuisance. Prevent the addition of chemicals to mask the
odors
that pollute the air. So, Judy, have you run into a sealed lift
station? If
not, and knowing the requirements, do you believe one can be designed
to be
sealed? Can existing ones easily be modified to be sealed?

Rudy Moehrbach
Waste Reduction Resource Center
Raleigh, NC
Tel 1-800-476-8686, Fax 919-715-1612