RE: domestic wastewater reduction (was: Odor Prevention at Lift Stations)

Judy,
Sure, some of the domestic waste is a fixed quantity. But there are many
opportuntities for reducing domestic wastewater. Think about the home
water conservations steps they've been using out west for years, and are
moving East lately. Examples: various things involving toilets ("the
flapper"; low-flow retrofits for apartment buildings; tank dividers),
water-saving showerhead giveaways, public awareness campaigns, etc. A
big water waster is the top-loading washing machine -- front loaders are
signficantly more water efficient and they clean better as well -- some
jurisdictions are giving rebates on these.

These water conservation efforts are usually directed at reducing water
demand, but they also reduce wastewater generation.

Melissa

Melissa Malkin
Research Triangle Institute, Pollution Prevention Program
POB 12194
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709-2194
voice: (919) 541-6154     fax (919) 541 7155
http://www.rti.org/units/ese/p2/ppb.html