Re: Topping Off

Hi Tammy,

I think you need to be rather more specific in your quest as there are
many more viable areas of public awareness that can be tackled rather
than something such as a concern about over-filling.  In any case, a
genuine over-fill will simply lead to a small spillage and evaporation
of the fuel.

Emissions to air from petroleum spirit would typically be in the form of
benzene and there have been many research projects to find out the
exposure risks and health effects of this.  The data shows that even on
the very busiest roads, exposure to benzene is usually less than 1ppb
(part per billion).  (here in the UK, at least)

There has been research into the exposure of workers in the shops next
to filling stations and this indicates that it can be the case that the
air-conditioning systems suck in the air with evaporative benzene
content..  thus the workers can be more highly exposed in their internal
environment than the person outside filling their car!

>From a public awareness point of view I think there are a number of
important air quality related issues that you could follow;

-  the quality of air inside your car is poorer than that which someone
walking alongside a road is exposed to.

-  we all make too many unnecessary journies in our cars that could
otherwise be made using public transport or bicycles etc..

-  if we changed our driving techniques to a smoother and less
aggressive style we could reduce emissions

-  do you really *need* that large car?  Why not have a smaller, more
efficient car?

There are lots of other areas that could be explored...

I'm more than happy to discuss air quality issues further if you wish.

Regards,

Duncan

--
Duncan Philips
e-mail to: Duncan@genesis2.demon.co.uk

***  Strictly Banks  -  the Tony Banks tribute concert  ***

http://dialspace.dial.pipex.com/mdean/banks/newsbank.htm