RE: Site Visits -Reply

Dear all,
Burton's comments about the international dialogue about CP/P2 force me to
respond.
First Id like to thank him for his kind words about our Web page. We have
very limited resources and do the best we can. He is a well known name in
the international CP world so praise is really welcome.
The number of different terms used to describe preventive environmental
approaches is not something particularly surprising or to be considered
"strange" or funny. The terms he listed pretty much cover the gamut - IN
ENGLISH. The term once translated into other languages takes on different
meanings. It's the nature of languages. For example in France the term CP
exactly translated into French is not "good" French." The concept USED by
the French for similar work is actually clean technology. It is impossible
to have only 1 term. To strive for such a goal is a waste of limited
resources.
For us it has been a challenge to find the way to communicate the concept
into different cultures and not get bogged down by terminology. (Which
seems to need to evolve as well). This is the same approach we have for
SMEs. We assume they don't care what we call it, they wont understand it
anyway. We have to find the language and existing information dissemination
vehicle that reaches them and use that.
Anyway, you can imagine when we do our web search our strings are pretty
comprehensive!
Anyway...just to throw in a little input from the non-english speaking parts
of the globe...
Garrette Clark
CP Programme
UNEP IE