Cable pulling lubricant

Dear P2tech:

We are looking for an electrical cable pulling lubricant.  The application is
for horizontal subgrade electrical cable.  The cable is plastic coated and has,
through time, become attached to it's outer metal conduit.  Kerosene works
well, in freeing up the cable so that it can be pulled from the conduit.  Are
there any non-toxic alternatives known?  As a start, we are looking into
soy-based solvents.  Are there other areas we should be researching?  Are
glycerin or food-based oils potential alternatives?

Any ideas or leads will be appreciated.

Donna T. Chen
Hazardous and Toxic Materials Office
City of Los Angeles