CP, P2 and other labels...

Come on Burt, you left out industrial ecology!

Now that Burt has provided useful guidance about international terminology
vis-a-vis P2 and CP, for those who want a more detailed discussion (from a
European point of view) of how the various fields define their boundaries,
take a look at

Van Berkel et al.  "Cleaner Production and Industrial Ecology"  JOURNAL OF
INDUSTRIAL ECOLOGY.  1(1): 51-66.

The article focuses on mapping out the different areas of emphasis in IE,
P2/CP, DfE, TUR, etc.

Reid Lifset

At 08:12 AM 1/29/99 -0800, you wrote:
>At 10:14 AM 1/29/99 -0500, David Westcott wrote:
>
>>In that email you wrote:
>>"Do they participate in P2/CP information networks".
>>What does the "CP" stand for?
>>Thanks,
>>

>Oops sorry, CP stands for Cleaner Production.  Perhaps many are not aware
>of this, but outside of USA and Canada the intellectual discussion about
>sustainable business is dominated by the U.N. Industry and Environment
>Programme in Paris (www.unepie.org) and by the UN Industrial Development
>Organization in Vienna (www.unido.org).  In the early 90s the UN system
>settled on "Cleaner Production" as their own term for what N. Americans
>call P2.
>
>Read the official definition of CP at the UNEP IE site, and also be sure to
>download their truly great Windows program on CP, which includes worldwide
>contacts, a searchable database of over 350 case studies from around the
>world, a bibliography of publications, etc.
>
>Other transnational orgs have followed UN lead, so now CP is the "official"
>term in use by the World Bank, World Trade Organization, World Biz Council
>for Sust Development (actually those guys like to call it "eco-efficiency"
>just to drive the UN people crazy), and APEC - Asia/Pacific Economic
>Cooperation org.  Most other countries and national/local P2 programs also
>call what they do "cleaner production".
>
>I have noticed that most Europeans seem to have decided that they are way
>ahead of Americans on regulatory approaches, P2 TA and everything else.
>What a surprise!  So what, we got 'em addicted to Big Macs, we win the war.
> But outside N. America the dialogue really is about CP, not "P2", which I
>guess is helpful to know if your dialogues are global.
>
>Just to make it more amusing, the Asian Productivity Organization, which
>represents NIST-like groups all over Asia, decided that THEY would call it
>"Green Productivity"!.  Isn't that special.  Let's all count the terms now
>currently in use by various business/environment organizations:
>
>Pollution Prevention
>Cleaner Production
>Eco-Efficiency
>Green Productivity
>TQEM
>Waste Minimization
>Waste Reduction
>Toxics Use Reduction
>Environmental Management Systems
>
>Quick!  Explain the difference between all of these terms!  You have five
>minutes!
>
>No wonder the small business community is so goddamned confused.

>Burton Hamner
>- Adjunct Professor, Asian Institute of Management, Manila, Philippines
>- President, Hamner Associates, LLC
>4343 4th Avenue NW, Seattle, Washington, 98107
>tel/fax: 206-789-5499
>email:  bhamner@mindspring.com
>VISIT the SUSTAINABLE BUSINESS WEBSPACE	and my home pages at:
>web:  http://www.mindspring.com/~bhamner

Reid Lifset
Editor, Journal of Industrial Ecology
School of Forestry & Environmental Studies
Yale University
205 Prospect Street
New Haven, CT  06511-2189  USA
203-432-6949 (tel)