Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 10:49:20 EDT
Subject: P2 - Remediation Question
A1-type: DOCUMENT
=20
Once the old waste is excavated as part of site preparation, it=
=20
must be handled in accordance with Waste Management regulations. =
=20
In most cases that will mean it will have to go to a permitted=
=20
disposal site. If it is clean fill it can be re-buried on site. =
=20
It may also qualify under a Waste Management Beneficial Use Permi=
t=20
or an existing Waste Management General Permit as acceptable fill=
. =20
If so, it could also be re-buried on site.
=20
The person should contact Waste Management and explain exactly=
=20
what they have. There is no legal definition for "inert fill".
=20
Bruce
=20
=20
=20
TO: p2tech (=20
p2tech@great-lakes.net@PMDF@DER003 )
=20
Subject: - no subject (01J73WU2282E8ZK7WK) -
=20
Dear colleagues:
We addres to you in order to require your help to solve the=20
following problem:
=20
A petrol station is going to be built on top of an uncontrolled=
=20
"inert" (in
theory) waste landfill. Part of the materials are going to be=
=20
excavated and
we have to decide what to do with them. According to the availabl=
e=20
data,
part of them could be reused in the site (on natural soil), part=
=20
of them
will be sent to a controlled landfill and another part to a=20
special waste
landfill.
=20
Do you know any procedure to define the sampling strategy after=
=20
excavating
the material? What volume of material could be represented by a=
=20
single sample?
Any piece of information will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
Ana Alzola
IHOBE, S.A.
Iba=F1ez de Bilbao, 28 - 8=AA Pl