Interesting Reading: National report card on Environmental Knowledge, Attitudes, and Behaviors

P2TECH --

P2TECH and NPPR have such diverse readers that I don't normally recommend
reading materials to the list, but I recently finished reading my copy of
the National Environmental Education & Training Foundation's recently
released  "National Report Card on Environmental Knowledge, Attitudes, and
Behaviors."  This report presents the results of an extensive set of surveys
conducted by Roper Starch regarding public environmental attitudes.  Some
interesting tidbits:

> *	Although 68% of Americans rate themselves as having "a lot" or "a
> fair amount" of environmental issues, the actual level of understanding as
> indicated by responses to questions about these issues is quite a bit
> lower.  For example, only 16% of Americans believed (correctly) that
> individuals changing motor oil were the main source of oil in surface
> waters, compared to 57% who believe that it comes primarily from oil
> refineries and tanker spills.
>
> *	32% of Americans believe that spray cans are the main source of
> CFC's in the environment today, despite the fact that the CFC ban for
> aerosol cans was put in place in 1978.
>
> *	Only 22% of Americans correctly indicated that run-off is the most
> common form of water pollution; most (47%) assume that industrial
> discharges are the largest source.
>
> *	It's not all bad --  41% of Americans could select the correct
> definition of a watershed from a short list of plausible definitions.
>
> Additional summary items are available via the NEETF web site
> (http://www.neetf.org/reportcard/default.htm).  It is worthwhile reading,
> and I think has relevance to those of us involved in training and
> education efforts, which is essentially everyone working in P2.  The full
> copy of the report includes discussion of methodology, recommendations,
> and summary statistics for the questions asked (sorry, no detailed numbers
> such as number of respondents, variances, etc).  The full report is
> available (for a fee) from NEETF via their web site.

Have a good weekend.