Latest Management Research: Environmental Management

sorry for any cross postings...

>Subject: Latest Management Research: Environmental Management

>I thought this information might be of interest for colleagues
>interested in environmental management, its politics, development and
>bussines side.
>Walter Leal Filho
>
>The January edition of the FREE e-jounal 'Latest Management Research +
>Practice' is now online.  It has the theme of Environmental Management,
>and consists of an editorial and 4 articles.  Please find below this
>month's
>editorial and brief citations of the articles.  The full text of these
>articles is available at the e-journals web site -
>http://www.mcb.co.uk/lmrp/issues/lmrp99-1.htm
>
>If you would like to continue receiving these free email updates, you
>can
>subscribe at the web site.
>
>Volume 1999 Issue 1 - Environmental Management
>
>--Editorial--
>
>Murray Duffin, CEO of SGS Thomson Microelectronics in France, says that
>"ecology is free...almost all our investments in environmental
>responsibility pay back in less than two years" (Duffin, 1997).
>Consuming
>less costs less. Think of it as "loss prevention" - just as you would
>protect your organization from thieves or fraud; protect it from
>wasteful
>use of often costly resources such as power and paper. If you want it to
>
>happen - manage it. Put someone in charge.
>
>Many years ago Lord Leverhulme (Lever Brothers, later Unilever) wittily
>said - "I waste half the money I spend on advertising. The trouble is, I
>
>don't know which half." Wasting resources which could be better used to
>serve customers, educate workers or go into health care or pension
>schemes is not really much of a joke. The money you make should be
>judiciously consumed, just like other resources.
>
>Don't be in the position of having to explain to your children or
>grandchildren that you didn't know any better about the environment -
>that
>you were just "obeying orders". Put your policies on the line with
>environmental protection groups, student lobby groups - anyone who can
>give them a good workover and really test their robustness. Ron Hickson
>of TransAlta Power in Alberta, Canada, takes his staff and policies to
>vocal and radical green groups to expose them to the latest thinking in
>challenges by the environmentally aware.
>
>Environmental management isn't just about saving whales and recycling
>paper. It starts in your local community. Community care is good PR.
>Depending on how powerful and influential you are in your community, you
>may be able to contribute to safer streets, after school care, local
>amenity funding and management, help to schools and community businesses
>- it will be good for your staff and good for the work environment. And
>that can reasonably be said to positively correlate to productivity and
> [...]
Burton Hamner
- Adjunct Professor, Asian Institute of Management, Manila, Philippines
- President, Hamner Associates, LLC
4343 4th Avenue NW, Seattle, Washington, 98107
tel/fax: 206-789-5499
email:  bhamner@mindspring.com
VISIT the SUSTAINABLE BUSINESS WEBSPACE	and my home pages at:
web:  http://www.mindspring.com/~bhamner