Re: FW: oil-bearing diatomaceous earth

Greg and Scott:

We did an aluminum rolling mill recently, too.  They do quite a lot of
re-use already, so that may be of interest, but we also found quite a few
opportunities to reduce contamination and therefore prolong the life of the
oils.  Some water-based substitutes, too, which can reduce some subsequent
cleaning activity.

If you would like the report, e-mail my colleage John at jjaimez@matprod.com.

>Hello Everyone
>We conducted a site visit to an aluminum rolling mill recently.  Their major
>waste stream of concern was a diatomaceous earth that filters the
>lubricating oils used in the rolling process.  The "D.E." is currently
>allowed to go to a Subtitle D solid waste landfill.  The company wants to
>have it burned at the power plant, but have been unable to because of Air
>Quality's PSD concerns.  Do any of you all know of alternative filtration
>mechanism that would help the company clean and reuse their oils but not
>result in such a heavy disposal burden?
>
>Scott Mouw
>
>NC Div. of Pollution Prevention & Environmental Asst.
>NC DENR
>919-715-6512
>919-715-6794 (fax)
>scott_mouw@p2pays.org <mailto:scott_mouw@p2pays.org>
>www.p2pays.org <http://www.p2pays.org>

Terry Foecke
Managing Partner
Materials Productivity LLC (fka Waste Reduction Institute, Inc.)
1821 University Avenue
Suite S-219
St. Paul, MN   55104
(p)  651-603-8282