re: Waste Minimization Plans

>>Would appreciate any info re state mandated (or suggested) facility
Waste Minimization Plan (as required by RCRA for HW LQGs). Looking for
required elements and/or a good sample plan that has already been
developed.

Thanks,

Dick Burns
DEP Central District P2 Coordinator

Dick,

Ohio EPA's Division of Hazardous Waste Management requires treatment, storage and disposal facilities (facilities with hazardous waste permits) to submit a Waste Minimization Plan as a condition of their permit.  The actual content of the plan is NOT prescribed, but the Division does give the permittee suggestions for what to include.  You can view the permit condition at:

http://www.epa.state.oh.us/opp/guide/p2pbgn.html
Ohio Pollution Prevention and Waste Minimization Planning Guidance Manual

Scroll down and click on "Table of Contents"
Scroll down and click on "Appendix C"

We developed this guidance manual in 1993 based on Illinois HWRIC's guidance manual and on U.S. EPA's Facility P2 Guide.  The P2 world has definitely moved on since then.  If we were developing new guidance now, it would most likely include more process and quality tools.

I have reviewed most of the plans submitted in Ohio.  Call or e-mail if you have more questions.

Andrea Futrell
Ohio EPA, Office of Pollution Prevention
Lazarus Government Center
P.O. Box 1049
Columbus, OH 43216-1049
voice  614-644-2813