Farewell and coolant-related machine shop question

Hi Folks,

It is with some sadness that I post my last question to P2 Tech, (at the
request of my Supervisor), as I am leaving the NH Pollution Prevention
Program to take the Senior Planner position in the Commissioner's Office.

After a great run of 10 years, I am leaving a program that I helped to start
from scratch (along with Paul Lockwood) out of the early days of
Hazardous Waste Capacity Assurance (anyone remember working on
CAP?)

I've enjoyed working directly with many of you on, and off, this listserve.
I have also enjoyed some of the "electronic" relationships I've established
with a bunch of you.   I have been nothing but impressed with the caliber
and depth of knowledge and experience of folks on this listserve (and in
the Technical Assistance Community).

On to bigger and not necessarily better things.  We'll see....  Information
requests, P2 conference planning, on-site assessments, and outreach
literature are soon to be replaced with Strategic Planning, Performance
Partnership Agreements, State of the Environment Report, and a bunch
of workgroups, committees, and partnerships.

Finally --- the question  --

A machine company is sawing brass parts.  Following the cutting
operation, the parts pass through two rinse tanks.  The first rinse is
picking up lead and exceeding the 5 ppm limit for hazardous waste
determination.  Since the rinse is tap water (I told him to check pH), the
culprit appears to be the cutting fluid ("Valcool VNT 800" from Cincinnati
Milicron).  They can't change the brass formulation but could change the
coolant.  The owner says the longer the parts sit in the rinse water, the
higher the lead level.  Has anyone heard of a similar problem?  Does
anyone know of a good, non-aggressive coolant?  Are there other
possible sources of the lead?

Thanks everyone.   Keep up the great work that you all do.  I'm going to
make sure that I maintain the P2 ethic in my new position.  Please keep in
touch and I'll find opportunities for the same.

Sincerely,

Vincent Perelli
NH Department of Environmental Services
Pollution Prevention Program