RE: Farewell and coolant-related machine shop question

Vincent,

Brass will leach lead into water, its a problem that has been known for a
long time. There was major concern here in California under Prop 65 because
the initial water coming out of a brass faucet will have very high lead
levels. With freshly cut brass, the problem will be greatest because the
lead at the metal surface hasn't had time to leach out.

You could try raising the pH of the first rinse to reduce leaching but I'm
just guessing if it would help.  The EDF might have data on lead leaching
versus the pH of water. They were the ones to sponser the research into the
brass faucet problem. As an alternative, the shop could look into their
brass supply. High lead levels indicate the use of recycled scrap that has
not been sorted for lead content (the lead is due to solder).

Best wishes on your new position.

Mike.callahan@jacobs.com