Re: Rubber Injection Molding Scrap-Reply

Kirk-

This sounds like a design for sustainability project.

I worked with a firm in the same business about two years ago. They were
very efficient with the amount of scrap they generate because they were
using dies with optimized runners and their operators were very effective
at minimizing waste (even though their machines were old). Their issue
wasn't how to minimize waste since they were already doing it, but where to
recycle the waste. I located a firm nearby who was very interested in the
rubber trimmings. They were a recycler of used tires. The rubber scrap from
the injection molding process was optimized raw material for the recycler.

To minimize the waste from your client's process, I suggest you look at die
modification and at employee training. The equipment must be capable of
minimizing scrap and the operators must be trained to actually do it.

Good luck. Hope this is helpful.

wjw/

>Our office is working with an automtive supplier who manufactures various
>rubber products (ie, hoses, gaskets, etc).  As part of the production
>process, scrap rubber is generated from their injection molding machines.
>Due to the amount of scrap generated (ie, raw material ($) loses) from the
>injection molding machines,  this area has become a leading P2
>opportunity.
>
>Does anyone know of ways to reduce the scrap generated from injection
>molding machines?  Included would be ways to reduce the amount of
>edge/trim waste that is generated when excess rubber is removed from the
>part after the molding process.

>Kirk Nofzinger
>Ohio EPA - Office of Pollution Prevention
>P.O. Box 1049
>Columbus, OH 43216-1049
>
>614-644-2809 (phone)     614-644-2329 (fax)
>kirk.nofzinger@epa.state.oh.us
>www.epa.state.oh.us/opp
>

>!
>!