P2 in Remediation

I once ran a workshop for DOE on integrating P2 into remediation and
decontamination & demolition (D&D).  They did not want to hear about P2 at
all!  They had all the answers because they were just so experienced.
Times are changing.  There are Natural Resources Damage Claims being filed
now.  That means if you clean up an area to pristine levels and kill off
some natural resources, you will get sued under this other legislation.
Some level of balance between "how clean is clean" and damaging natural
resources to get there will have to be done.  The Systems Approach to
pollution prevention is helpful here because it allows the remedial
engineers and scientists to sit down with the "Trustees" of the natural
resources and use team-based problem-solving and decision-making tools to
reach concensus on how to go about conducting these remedial projects.  P2
is often a way to help reach consensus.  The threat of law suits against
remediation teams is now providing the impetus to change their headstong
(don't tell me how to do this) ways - and everyone wins.  This is what we
are trying at Los Alamos, although we are in very early stages there.  I am
not sure how Sandia will handle this issue of Natural Resources Damages.

DOE has published a couple of manuals on waste minimization in remedial
projects.  However, I think these may be dated now given this recent
development.

Bob

Dr. Robert B. Pojasek
Pojasek & Associates