Re: P2 and government departments

Mr. McKenzie:

The Local Government Workgroup (LGW) of the National Pollution Prevention
Roundtable (NPPR) is currently involved in a project that may be of
interest to you (and others).  I'm attaching a copy of draft agenda and
other information about the project and next week's full day training
session taking place in conjunction with the NPPR's Spring Conference in
Washington, D.C.  Things are pretty hectic right now, but if you have any
questions, I'll try to answer them after I return from the conference April
12.  If you're interested in the NPPR Conference and/or next Tuesday's Local
Government Compliance and P2 ("Profile of Local Government Operations")
Training, call the NPPR at 202/466-7272.

Bruce Suits

J. Bruce Suits
Pollution Prevention Manager
City of Cincinnati
Office of Environmental Management
Two Centennial Plaza
805 Central Avenue, Suite 610
Cincinnati, OH  45202-1947
Phone:     513/352-6270
FAX:       513/352-4970
email:     bruce.suits@cinems.rcc.org

-DRAFT-
The "Profile of Local Government Operations" document-

This document was prepared by the U.S. EPA's Office of Enforcement and
Compliance Assurance.  Also, the National Pollution Prevention Roundtable's
Local Government Workgroup, with support from the U.S. EPA's Office of
Pollution Prevention and Toxics, helped prepare the pollution prevention
and environmental purchasing portions of the document.

By presenting information operation by operation, rather than rule by rule,
the "Profile" makes it much easier for local governments to be aware of and
comply with applicable environmental regulations.  Understanding their
environmental compliance obligations is an important step for local
governments toward prioritizing compliance activities, developing a
comprehensive compliance plan, as well as identifying pollution prevention
opportunities.  Policies such as EPA's small community policy provides a
framework for utilizing this information.  The "Profile" also provides other
useful information such as a compliance baseline, summary of enforcement
actions, and an overview of local government management and financial
structures.  The "Profile" should prove to be a valuable tool for EPA as
well, by increasing the understanding about local governments and their
operations.  The organizing principal of the "Profile" will be shared by
EPA's Local Government Environmental Assistance Network.

Local Government operations included in the "Profile" are:
        - Environmental Purchasing Practices
        - Construction/Property Management
        - Pesticide/Vector Management
        - Public Safety
        - Solid Waste Management
        - Wastewater Management
        - Water Resources Management
        - Water Supply
        - Vehicle/Equipment Maintenance
        - Local Government Regulatory Programs

The "Profile" will be posted on U.S. EPA's Office of Enforcement and Compliance
Assurance (OECA) "Sector Notebook" website, as well as the International
City/County Management Association"s (ICMA) Local Government Environmental
Assistance Network (LGEAN) website.  Their respective addresses are:
U.S.EPA - http://es.epa.gov/oeca/sector/index.html (NOT YET POSTED)
ICMA    - http://www.lgean.org (CURRENTLY POSTED)

And printed copies are available from OECA.

With funding support from U.S. EPA's Office of Pollution Prevention and
Toxics, plus in-kind services from NPPR members, the Local Government
Workgroup has already provided four training sessions on the "Profile":

In November - a pre-pilot training in Milwaukee, WI
In January  - a full-day pilot training in Cincinnati, OH
In March    - a one and a half hour "preview" training at the Great Lakes
              Regional Pollution Prevention Roundtable Winter meeting in Chicago
This week   - Tuesday's full day training here at the NPPR conference in
              Washington, D.C.

All the training sessions have been very well received and several other
States and Regional organizations have recently requested similar training
sessions on the "Profile" document.

The Local Government Workgroup is also partnering with U.S. EPA on an outreach
strategy for the "Profile" document, possibly including development of a
CD-ROM training.  The project is being discussed in the Local Government
Workgroup's meetings Tuesday (4:30-7:30pm) and Thursday (3:30-5:15pm) of this
week, here at the NPPR Conference.  You are welcome to attend these meetings.

As a final note:  "The Profile", in addition to it's value as a P2, compliance,
and environmental purchasing tool for locals, has also been used to help local
government officials bring attention to the value of their environmental
programs and P2 programs.  Sharing some of the enforcement actions and penalties
(sometimes in the hundreds of thousands of dollars) has been effective in
getting the attention of local government budgeteers and decision makers, and
can help you support your efforts to promote P2 programs and activities in your
agency.