RE: [Fwd: alternative for phosporic acid cleaners?]

Tom,

Other than the issue of pH, whats wrong with NaOH and phosphoric acid? I
suspect these compounds are used because trace levels left on the metal
surface will not be hazardous to the consumer. You have to be careful when
switching cleaners in a food processing plant because they have to be
approved for use. I think the FDA and the Dept of Agriculture might be
involved in this approval process.

I suspect the caustic is being used to saponify the cooking oil and the phos
acid is then used to remove the burned on carbon and scale. To reduce the
use of these cleaners, the plant should review its cleaning procedure. Can
the cooker be drained while hot so as to remove more of the oil ? Can the
walls be squeegeed (once cool) to remove oil ?

How about a high pressure clean-in-place system? Many of these systems
provide enough force to remove burned on residue. Use clean water and they
should be able to easily separate the oil from the water prior to discharge.
They might even be able to filter the oil and reuse it.

How about ways to reduce the burning of the oil? Would better temperature
control prevent overheating? This would reduce the need to clean. Or maybe
they need a way to clean the oil while in use. If chips fall to the bottom
of the kettle, can they be removed quickly? I suspect not and this is why
the oil must be replaced frequently and the kettle cleaned.

Not having inspected this type of operation, I can only guess at possible
solutions. I find it amusing that people are now looking at food processing
and P2. We had a few people laugh with (at?) us many years ago when we
included cafeteria waste as part of a Waste Min assessment. They laughed
until we pointed out that their haz waste hauler was gladly managing their
cafeteria sumps because the high solids content drove the disposal price to
more than $2 per gallon. Segregated, haz waste oils could be disposed of at
$0.80 per gallon and cafeteria oil and grease at $0.30 per gallon.  While
they did implement segregation, I don't think our suggestion to implement a
low-fat meal program was adopted.

Just some thoughts,

Mike.callahan@jacobs.com