No Subject

To: p2tech
From: "Malkin, Melissa" <mjmalkin@rti.org>
Subject: Indicators of EMS performance

Burt Hammer recently posted a nice set of "five basic indicators" of
pollution prevention progress to the P2Tech listserver (re-pasted below).
I'd like to expand that discussion to the include "indicators of EMS
progress".
EPA asked Research Triangle Institute to develop a web-based tool for
evaluating environmental progress resulting from an EMS. We considered
trying to come up with a very quantitative tool, but instead chose something
very much like the "basic indicators" approach. We assumed that the
following qualities of an EMS are most likely to result in environmental
protection improvements:
-- EMS thoroughly identifies all potential environmental aspects (e.g., VOC
emissions from manufacturing process)
-- EMS thoroughly identifies all impacts related to the aspects (ground
level ozone, worker health, air toxics, etc)

-- EMS contains aggressive targets to reduce a large percent of the impact,
and reduce it fast.

-- EMS meets the targets using tools that are high up on the P2 hierarchy,
and use tools that address aspects and impacts that are beyond the facility
gates (e.g., product stewardship, environmentally preferable purchasing).
-- EMS implements practices that are associated with good environmental
management (environmental accounting, design for the environment, TQEM, etc
etc... pretty much any practice that helps a company get at Burt's "5 basic
indicators" would come in here).
I'd welcome feedback & discussion on this tool: you can review it at
http://ems.rti.org <http://ems.rti.org> (its a public tool, so there's no
charge, and its also confidential)
Regards,

Melissa Malkin
Research Triangle Institute, Pollution Prevention Program
POB 12194
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709-2194
voice: (919) 541-6154 fax (919) 541 7155
http://www.rti.org/units/ese/p2/ppb.html
<