Re: Another indicator?

HI Guys,

How about an indicator that reflects vision?  "Have they got a green
market/green design paradigm that demonstrates a new vision for the
company?"  This would be important to sustain good environmental
performance and support competitiveness.

Janet Clark
Toxics Use Reduction Institute
http://www.turi.org

At 11:19 AM 4/9/99 +0100, you wrote:
> To: p2tech
>""<>
> Subject: RE: Indicators of EMS performance
>
> Dear Melissa
> Thanks for your input - useful stuff. Without having had a look at your WEB
> site, I have some initial comments which will hopefully be of use:
> -Your approach seems to be very much US concept biased - is there no way to
> make this a bit more generic in order for it to be clearer for an SME in a
> developing country, which is not involved in the P2 debate, but has an
> interest in an EMS which might be triggered of by ISO 14001 or other
> developments
> -The work of ISO TC 207, SC 4 has attempted since some time to come up with
> a guide for Environmental Performance Evaluation, which is scheduled for
> publication in the 3rd quarter of 99.
> The following type of indicators have been defined by ISO 14031:
> 1)Management Performance Indicators (MPIs) describes the management efforts
> undertaken in the context of improving the Environmental Performance, such
> as man hour of environmental training per employee
> 2)Operational Performance Indicator (OPI) looks at the environmental
> performance of an organisation's operations, such as energy consumption per
> unit of production
>"specific expression
> that provides information about the local, regional or global condition of
>"
> MPIs express the managerial effort of the company with the goal to improve
> OPIs and ECIs. The problem is that the relationship between managerial
> effort and improvement of OPIs and ECIs is not linear, which means for
> example that not always does more training result in improved environmental
> performance. OPIs are the area where usually P2, Cleaner Production people
> and process engineers have focused on; the actual inputs, outputs, which as
> well give the company a better idea on where financial benefit can be
> combined with improved environmental performance. Improved ECIs is what is
> the ultimate goal of the efforts and what the stakeholders will be looking
> at.
> ISO 14031 is not going to prescribe indicators, but leave it up to the
> organisation which one's to choose, but there are some relevant examples
> given.
>
> I wonder whether this concept might be worthwhile to be linked to your
ideas
> in order to clarify the relationship for companies, between the results of
> their management effort in relation to measurable environmental improvement
> outputs of their EMS.
> Matthias Gelber
>& ONE Solutions Ltd
> mgelber@ibm.net

Janet Clark <clarkjan@turi.org>
Technology Transfer Manager
MA Toxics Use Reduction Institute
University of Massachusetts
One University Ave.
Lowell, MA  01854-2866
Tel 978-934-3346, Fax 978-934-3050
http://www.turi.org
http://www.turi.org/P2GEMS
http://cleaning.org
And a new web site to check out for pvc- and mercury-free hospitals:
http://www.uml.edu/centers/LCSP/hospitals