RE: Dyna Clean

Marlyn,

We looked at the DynaClean process way back in 1992 for the SRRP project
with EDF.  You're missing a few important details of the process as best I
remember. DynaClean was located in Indianna and a web search might turn up
some up to date info.

As I remember, the PERC is continuously filtered to remove fibers and
sludge. These units can process thousands of gallons per hour depending on
size. Some of the PERC is also distilled in a small side unit by injecting
live steam. The advantage of steam injection over indirect heating is that
the distillation temperature is about 20 to 30 degrees F lower.  This
results in less grease and body oil being carried over with the PERC.

When the filter becomes dirty, it is backflushed with water and the
resulting waste enters the bottom of the distillation chamber. It too is
steam stripped to removed PERC. One big advantage of this process is that it
eliminates the manual handling of PERC-laden sludge.

Since steam stripping introduces water, the PERC condensate from the still
is run through a water separator followed by dessicant dryer. The process
generates about 250 gallons per day of water containing about 5 to 30 ppm
PERC. This is the water discharged to sewer.  While I haven't checked in
many years, local POTWs may require carbon filters to remove this PERC prior
to discharge.

Hope this helps,

Mike.callahan@jacobs.com