moss on structures

Hello all,

We have an interesting question from one of our local utility folks.  As you can imagine, moss can be (and usually is) a problem in the NW.  Does anyone know of any non-toxic alternative to chemicals commonly in use (sodium hypochlorite, zinc napthanate, copper, ferrous sulphate) for cleaning moss from structures?  Or, any methods that could be used to reduce moss growth on structures?  (This may be one of those things that could be hard to apply from regions that aren't so moist).  Even though some of the metal solutions are pretty good, even small amounts of these chemicals can cause a problem to our salmon-bearing streams.

As always, any leads would be greatly appreciated.

cmd

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Catherine M. Dickerson
Technical Lead
Pacific Northwest Pollution Prevention Resource Center
1326 Fifth Avenue, Suite 650
Seattle, WA 98101
Phone:  206-223-1151
Fax:  206-223-1165