From: Catherine Dickerson [mailto:cdickerson@pprc.org]
Sent: Wednesday, May 12, 1999 3:37 PM
To: 'p2tech'
Subject: moss on structures

Hello all,

We have an interesting question from one of our local utility folks.  As you
can imagine, moss can be (and usually is) a problem in the NW.  Does anyone
know of any non-toxic alternative to chemicals commonly in use (sodium
hypochlorite, zinc napthanate, copper, ferrous sulphate) for cleaning moss
from structures?  Or, any methods that could be used to reduce moss growth
on structures?  (This may be one of those things that could be hard to apply
from regions that aren't so moist).  Even though some of the metal solutions
are pretty good, even small amounts of these chemicals can cause a problem
to our salmon-bearing streams.

As always, any leads would be greatly appreciated.

cmd

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Catherine M. Dickerson
Technical Lead
Pacific Northwest Pollution Prevention Resource Center
1326 Fifth Avenue, Suite 650
Seattle, WA 98101
Phone:  206-223-1151
Fax:  206-223-1165