Re: WATERING THE LAWN

Does anybody have information about the fate of water that is used for watering
the lawn? What percentage of it seeps to the ground, what percentage is
vaporized, and what percentage ends up in the grass? I suspect most of the
water ends up in the grass or seeps into the ground. Either way this water is
not reusable, unlike the water used in the bathrooms and kitchens, which ends
up in the waterbody it came from through wastewater treatment plants. If that
is so, we are wasting enormous amounts of fresh water in watering lawns, which
look good and are part of an old tradition, but otherwise do not serve any
useful purpose. Although, we live in Great Lakes area and the water is
abundant, yet it is not unlimited. Sooner or later we will starting running out
of fresh water if we keep depleting it through watering the lawn and other
wasteful practices. The lake levels are already on decline. The lawns are also
environmentally unfriendly because of water pollution problems resulting from
runoffs of fertilizers, insecticides, herbicides and other lawn treatment
chemicals and air pollution problems emanating from exhaust of lawn mowers. The
lawn mowers require energy to power them. The time used in watering, nurturing
and cutting the lawn could be better used in spending time with family members,
relative, and friends or developing hobbies.
In light of the above, it might be a good idea to have a fake lawn, instead of
a real lawn.
The above is entirely my own opinion and not that of my employer, who is in the
business of selling water. Incidentally, I have no vested interest in fake
lawns, either. I am just a concerned environmental engineer.