RE: Re[2]: WATERING THE LAWN

You might want to look into Permaculture techniques, low water demand
plantings (xeriscape), etc.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bruce.Suits@cinems.rcc.org [mailto:Bruce.Suits@cinems.rcc.org]
Sent: Friday, May 14, 1999 10:48 AM
To: 'P2TECH'; Pradeep Srivastava
Subject: Re[2]: WATERING THE LAWN

Pradeep Srivastava:

I am curious to hear more about the "fake lawn" approach.  What is it?
Green
painted concrete?

I agree with most of what you say, but offer some personal experiences and
some "real lawn" and garden P2 alternatives to your "fake lawn" option:

1. Rare use of lawn and garden watering.  Only when absolutely necessary,
e.g., to help flowers and vegies get their starts; or in long term dry
spells.  Dish water can be used on flowers (it's soapy and helps keep the
bugs
off - plus it's much cheaper than the "safe" store brand insecticidal
soaps).
Also, if you must water, avoid watering in the "heat of the day" when water
will
tend to be wasted by evaporation.  I think early mornings are best.  And you
can
water lightly instead of soaking!

2. Rare or no use of fertilizers, insecticides, herbicides and other lawn
treatments. See above.  My grandmother and great-grandmother used their
dish rinse water on their gardens many moons before P2 was a concept.  We
also carefully use a cayenne pepper/water solution from a spray bottle
around the perimeter of the house for the annual ant onslaught in May.  We
know that ants communicate, but I'm starting to wonder if they keep oral
histories: have not seen any of the little buggers in the house in three or
four years, although there are plenty outside.  Also, we don't try to make
our lawn look like the proverbial golf course putting green.  Dandelions
pretty much go away once hot weather arrives, and I use a non motorized
device to pull the few weeds that I absolutely can't tolerate.

3. Use a non power push mower.  My boss here in the office says there's a
Zen
quality to using the old fashioned style mower and I have to agree.  We have
relatively average size yard, but I'm not sure if size of yard has as much
an impact as length of grass.  You can't allow the grass to get too tall.
I've
kept my old gasoline mower maintained for the rare times (once or twice
last year) when there are extended periods of wet weather or I've been
"swamped" with work and let the lawn go a little too long.  The power mower
has a mulching blade. And I use a wonderful no-spill spout device (it
really works!) on the gas can to fill the mower's tank.

Other benefits of using a non power push mower:
- No evil air emissions or pollution (VOCs and carbon monoxide) from exhaust
- No obnoxious loud motor to upset neighbors or disrupt otherwise tranquil
Saturday (or Sunday) mornings.
- No messy gasoline and motor oil to deal with.
- The push mower is actually lighter weight and easier to maneuver and
handle than my power mower (neither are self propelled)
- Less likely to send projectiles flying at innocent pets, kids, cars, etc.
- Less likely to lose body parts in an slip, stumble or fall accident.
- Pretty good exercise (human energy source!)
- Evidently, push mowers are more user friendly and lighter weight now than
they
used to be.
- And, there is a rather soothing benefit (Zen?) of actually hearing
blade cut grass from human power that takes one back to the old days (if
you're old enough to remember).  You can actually carry on conversations
with loved ones, friends or neighbors while cutting grass.  And all the
pets, critters, etc. don't run for hills as soon as you "start it up".
- Also, there's a corresponding psychological benefit of doing something in
a "cheaper, cleaner and smarter" way.

4. I guess every family has different ways of spending quality time
together.
One way could be working together in the home, yard and garden (nurturing?).
always invite visiting friends and relatives to join in the fun.  They also
seem
to enjoy the flowers, fruits and vegetables.  Gardening is one of my
favorite
hobbies.

5. I'm sure there are other P2 techniques, tools and approaches to "real
lawn"
and garden care that I've failed to remember or list here that will help us
be
"green" in our own back yards!  Perhaps other folks (Home*A*Syst, for
example)
can chime in!

P.S. I remember when former neighbors of my parents decided to eliminate
their
"golf green" front yard.  These folks, who were very nice and great
neighbors,
were also extremists at lawn care.  It was something they worked on
everyday:
lots of work, lots of mowing, lots of water, lots of chemicals, etc.  But
for
some reason, later in their lives, they reached a breaking point and decided
replace their entire grass yard with stones.  No plants, no grass, nothing -
but
rocks.  But it was like going from one extreme to another, and I don't know
which, if either of the extremes, was more environmentally beneficially.  I
would guess that after they installed the rocks they lost a fair amount of
top
soil with every rain event.  I would also guess that they dramatically
increased
their contribution of stormwater runoff.

So, please tell us more about "fake lawns"

Bruce

J. Bruce Suits
Pollution Prevention Manager
City of Cincinnati