Four New Coastal P2 Case Studies on Web

To: p2tech @great-lakes.net
From: "Nancy A. Osborn" <nano@umich.edu>
Subject: Four New Coastal P2 Case Studies on Web

Sewage ... excess nutrients ... trash ... all end up in our nation's
oceans. Several Atlantic Coast communities have cleaned up their shared
waterways by combining legislated and voluntary practices. Learn about
their successes in our latest collection of case studies, which are now on
our website. These **free** publications were written for use in law,
policy, and marine biology courses as well as for anyone interested in
protecting their water supply.
1. SEWAGE SLUDGE PELLETIZATION (BOSTON): The sheer scale of the Boston
Harbor Cleanup Project makes it an important subject of coastal policy.
This case examines the issues surrounding pelletization of sludge;
describes source reduction through removal of leaded solder and
industrial pretreatment of sewage; and explains efforts to upgrade
treatment, extend it to more of Boston's wastewater, and promote
external reuse of sewage sludge.
2. THE ROLE OF P2 IN REDUCING NUTRIENT ENRICHMENT (CHESAPEAKE BAY):
Examines the role of P2 in a large, multi-jurisdictional effort
to reduce nutrient enrichment from fertilizer runoff, air pollution,
sewage and industrial outfalls, deforestation, and urban development.
The largely voluntary source reduction strategies include banning
phosphates, controlling coastal development, and establishing
riparian buffers along rivers and streams.
3. WASTE REDUCTION AT SEA: POLLUTION PREVENTION STRATEGIES ON MIAMI-BASED
CRUISE LINES: Examines how and why the Miami-based cruise line
industry is using source reduction, recycling, and land disposal to
avoid dumping trash in the ocean. Incentives include stricter
international and U.S. legislation, greater public scrutiny, and
growing industry awareness.
4. POLLUTION PREVENTION IN THE MARINAS OF BROWARD COUNTY, FLORIDA:
Boat maintenance and servicing activities are sources of sewage,
toxic substances, and petroleum hydrocarbons in coastal waters.
To reduce this pollution, county environmental regulators and marina
industry representatives cooperatively developed Best Management
Practices to encouraged activities ranging throughout the P2 hierarchy.
These new resources join three others in our Coastal P2 collection:
an introductory article, resource list bibliography, and annotated
bibliography. To view and/or print your own copies of any of these
documents, point your web browser to
www.umich.edu/~nppcpub/resources/compendia/coastal.html
If for some reason you would like us to send you hard copy, we need to
first receive a check (made out to "University of Michigan/NPPC") to
cover printing and mailing (Chesapeake case: $2.00; other cases: $1.50).
Prices for all documents are shown on our web page; if you don't have web
access, please contact us to request a catalog.
As always, your feedback is welcome. If you like these cases, please
spread the word to your colleagues!
Sincerely,
The Publications Department of the Center for Sustainable Systems
(formerly the National Pollution Prevention Center for Higher Education)
430 E. University Ave., Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1115
734/764-1412 * fax: 647-5841 * css.info@umich.edu