Re: WATERING THE LAWN

A very good resource on lawn-related issues is REDESIGNING THE AMERICAN
LAWN : A SEARCH FOR ENVIRONMENTAL HARMONY by F. Herbert Bormann, Diana
Balmori, Gordon T. Geballe,  New Haven : Yale University Press,1993.

by At 08:57 AM 5/14/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Does anybody have information about the fate of water that is used for
watering
>the lawn? What percentage of it seeps to the ground, what percentage is
>vaporized, and what percentage ends up in the grass? I suspect most of the
>water ends up in the grass or seeps into the ground. Either way this water is
>not reusable, unlike the water used in the bathrooms and kitchens, which ends
>up in the waterbody it came from through wastewater treatment plants. If that
>is so, we are wasting enormous amounts of fresh water in watering lawns, which
>look good and are part of an old tradition, but otherwise do not serve any
>useful purpose. Although, we live in Great Lakes area and the water is
>abundant, yet it is not unlimited. Sooner or later we will starting
running out
>of fresh water if we keep depleting it through watering the lawn and other
>wasteful practices. The lake levels are already on decline. The lawns are also
>environmentally unfriendly because of water pollution problems resulting from
>runoffs of fertilizers, insecticides, herbicides and other lawn treatment
>chemicals and air pollution problems emanating from exhaust of lawn
mowers. The
>lawn mowers require energy to power them. The time used in watering, nurturing
>and cutting the lawn could be better used in spending time with family
members,
>relative, and friends or developing hobbies.
>In light of the above, it might be a good idea to have a fake lawn, instead of
>a real lawn.
>The above is entirely my own opinion and not that of my employer, who is
in the
>business of selling water. Incidentally, I have no vested interest in fake
>lawns, either. I am just a concerned environmental engineer.
>
>Illig, Richard wrote:
>
>> CATHERINE,
>>
>> Not sure this is applicable...or that I'm remembering correctly
>>
>> A year or two ago someone posted a message about cleaning moss from
>> roofs/shingles.  One suggested "cure" was submitted.  You may find the
>> original posting/response in the archives.
>>
>> Does anyone else remember this or have any additional clues that might help
>> (or at least prevent wasting time on) an archive search?

Reid Lifset
Editor, Journal of Industrial Ecology
School of Forestry & Environmental Studies
Yale University
205 Prospect Street
New Haven, CT  06511-2189  USA
203-432-6949 (tel)