Vapor Degreasers

P2-Techers-

Will be visiting a firm who is using a vapor degreaser with TCE as the
solvent. Its a dinasaur that is apparently being misapplied. Its
refrigeration system is starting to fail as the employees are complaining
of fumes and odors. I need to be a proactive change agent to convince them
that there are better ways to remove lubricants and coolants from metal
parts prior to welding and painting. I'm requesting ammunition to use with
them to convince them to do source reduction and process modification
(aqueous cleaning or ultrasonics or other ideas you might have). I
understand there are NESHAPS reporting requirements to EPA which I suspect
they are not doing. Can anyone fill me in on those and suggest good change
agent "stuff"?

Thanks in advance.

wjw/

wjw5@psu.edu