Re: ZERO WASTE GOALS

Hi Bob.  I assume you know about the Zero Emissions Initiative at the UN
University in Japan, the website is www.zeri.org.  The founder, Gunter
Pauli, has a new book out called UPSIZING (Greenleaf Press,
www.greenleaf-publishing.com) in which he talks a lot about his experience
with this effort.

The goal of ZERO anything is interesting, I have read several critiques of
such practices from TQM advocates who say that setting such a goal is
demoralizing to people since they know they can never get there, and that
continuous improvement is a better philosophy.  Personally I think it is
fine to keep ZERO waste out there as a vision thing, but operationally
people still need measurable goals they can actually achieve, then redo the
operational goals in line with the vision.  Maybe that's obvious to
everyone but hey, I am becoming a master of the obvious as I get older.
When I was younger I was just a hacker of the obvious.

Burt Hamner
Burton Hamner
President, Hamner and Associates LLC
Adjunct Professor, Asian Institute of Management
4343 4th Avenue NW, Seattle Washington USA 91807
Tel/fax: 206-789-5499 (call before sending a fax)
Email:  bhamner@mindspring.com
Web:  The Sustainable Business Webspace, www.mindspring.com/~bhamner