Re: Vapor Degreasers

Warren:

I like Tim's response.  I can also suggest that you see if you can work
backwards from product quality.  Depends on the product, but sometimes
solvent degreasing, done poorly, leaves residues that are a problem in
subsequent processing.  Introduction of moisture into the solvent sump is
one; chlorides (a constituent in some coolants) another.  If they have done
any root cause analysis that connects product defects to cleaning, you might
another lever, since the value-added is quite high by the time they look at
a coated part.  Then the fight will be between fixing the degreaser or
modifying sources, if they are like some of our clients.

>P2-Techers-
>
>Will be visiting a firm who is using a vapor degreaser with TCE as the
>solvent. Its a dinasaur that is apparently being misapplied. Its
>refrigeration system is starting to fail as the employees are complaining
>of fumes and odors. I need to be a proactive change agent to convince them
>that there are better ways to remove lubricants and coolants from metal
>parts prior to welding and painting. I'm requesting ammunition to use with
>them to convince them to do source reduction and process modification
>(aqueous cleaning or ultrasonics or other ideas you might have). I
>understand there are NESHAPS reporting requirements to EPA which I suspect
>they are not doing. Can anyone fill me in on those and suggest good change
>agent "stuff"?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>wjw/
>
>wjw5@psu.edu
>
>Warren J. Weaver
>PENNTAP
>PO Box 5046
>York, PA 17405
>
>Certified ISO 14000 Auditor (#E051734)
>
>fax 717-854-0087
>
>ph 717-848-6669
>
>PENNTAP website:
>           www.penntap.psu.edu

Terry Foecke, Managing Partner
Materials Productivity LLC (fka Waste Reduction Institute, Inc.)
1821 University Avenue, Suite S-219
St. Paul, MN   55104
(p) 651-603-8282
(f) 651-603-8286