Rag Rope

I work for NCASI, which is a nonprofit environmental
research organization funded by the forest products
industry. Our membership accounts for over 90 percent of
the pulp and paper production and 75 percent of the solid
wood products manufactured in the United States.
I have spoken recently to several dozen mills that generate
rag rope. There have been a few attempts to recover the
metal in the rope, but without technical or (more
importantly) economic success. One mill in the south has
regulatory approval to burn the rope in its boilers and may
burn it in the future. France appears to be leaning toward
burning it as well (1998 TAPPI Environmental Conference).
With a high metal content, the volume reduction may not be
great from combustion.
Have you had any success in dealing with the rag rope?

Thanks,

William E. Thacker
Senior Research Engineer
NCASI