Re: EMS question

I think that Mark has hit a key point.  About 10 years ago, I was selected
jointly by a plant and a community group to conduct a pollution
prevention -- waste minimization audit of a large, old refinery that was
undergoing extensive modernization.  As the neutral, third party, my job was
to call it like I saw it.  I had carte blanche from both the company and the
group, in terms of what I saw, who I got to question, and what I reported as
a result.  However, the budget was limited (I basically gave away in work
about 10 times what I was paid).  The result was a very hard hitting report
that identified (1) the ways the current facility management was working to
reduce waste and adverse impact on the environment, (2) the ways that
current management was trying to clean up from 70+ years of environmental
ignorance, (3) a wide variety of ways in which the facility could further
reduce its waste.  The report also stated that some things were beyond the
ability of the plant management, like changing OSHA reporting requirements.

Many of the recommendations were adopted by the plant, because they were
reasonable.  Some were negotiated with the community group and modified to
make them more readily implemented in the plant or more palatable to senior
company (above the plant) management.

This audit served as a model that resulted in state legislation requiring
permitted hazardous waste facilities to conduct community participation
audits with third party inspectors.

The issue in this case was not only credibility with the community, but with
company senior management (outside the plant) and management within the
plant, but outside the environmental area.  Since I had performed other
refinery audits and had credibility with the state and industry, it made it
easier for management to implement the recommendations.

Ralph

Ralph E. Cooper, Ph.D., J.D.
14139 Woodstream
San Antonio, TX 78231