Re: Ink from Papers

Kenny,

Have you conducted an analysis of the toner?  Does toner pass the TCLP?
The paper itself is a great source of fibre but there may be fillers and
other additives in the paperitself that will be leached out and taken up by
the plants.  You may wish to contact the National Council for Air and
Stream Improvement for the Paper Industry (NCASI) about the paper
components.  Cannon or HP may have information on the toner.  I would
consult the search functions of their web sites.

At 01:15 PM 6/7/99 -0600, you wrote:
>Okay, I have another question.  We have a disintegrator (a super
>shredder of sorts) that we use to sanitize classified/sensitive paper.  We
>have been offering the shredded paper to employees for use as mulch in
>gardening.  The paper particles are much less than 3/8" in diameter.  A
>question was asked as to the health risk associated with eating
>vegetables from a garden where this paper mulch is used.  The great
>majority is white paper processed through laser printers.  Does anyone
>have any information that would assist me in answering the question?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Kenny
>Kenny Steward
>Pollution Prevention Group