Class 1 UIC vs Class IV UIC

Wednesday
June 9, 1999
Dear P2 Tech,
I'm looking for clarification on this issue, can you help.
The EPA's Office of Enforcement Compliance and Assurance (OECA) has informed
me the nations largest point source violation of the Safe Drinking Water Act
(SDWA) is in Dade County, Florida where 13 Class 1 underground injection
control (UIC) wells are daily discharging 208 million gallons of waste into
underground sources of drinking water (USDW).
(see: http://news.pollutiononline.com/industry-news/19990602-3717.htm)
Doesn't the fact that Dade, County's Class 1 UIC wells are discharging into
USDW technically qualify them as Class IV UIC wells which are banned in the
United States?
(see: http://www.epa.gov/ogwdw/uic.html and
http://www.ficus.usf.edu/library/fcfguide/chap10/chap10-7.htm and
http://ww.law.cornell.edu/uscode/42/300h-3.html)
Thank you for any assistance you can give me on this issue.
Best Wishes,
Donald Sutherland
Member of the Society of Environmental Journalists
donaldsutherland-iso14000@worldnet.att.net