Re: ENVIRONMENTAL BURDEN OF ACID AND CAUSTIC PRODUCTION

Something you might want to consider is that production of NaOH is tied to the production of elemental chlorine, and predictions are that the demand for chlorine will remain flat over the next several years while the demand for sodium hydroxide will rise (Chemical Marketing Reporter, vol 243, no 14, April 1993).  It's counterintuitive, but this means that the demand for sodium hydroxide may drive the production and use of chlorine.  Low prices for chlorine don't encourage efficient use.  Neutralized caustic isn't much of an environmental burden but inefficient use of chlorine, especially in the chlorinated organic compound chain, is.

Chlorine and NaOH are mostly produced using diaphragm cells these days.  In the bad old days, production of these compounds resulted in a lot of releases of mercury.

Hydrogen chloride is partially produced from elemental chlorine but the vast majority of it is recovered from processes where chlorinated compounds are converted to non-chlorinated compounds and HCl is released.

Kirsten Sinclair Rosselot, P.E.
Process Profiles
P.O. Box 8264
Calabasas, CA 91372-8264