RE: ? Origin of quote ? (public opinion data on env.)

Another good source of info on public opinion data related to the
environment is the book ENVIRONMENTAL VALUES IN AMERICAN CULTURE by
Kempton, Boster and Hartley, MIT Press, 1995.

At 12:20 PM 6/23/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Bill Green (BGreen@ecolink.com) asked:
>
>	"We often hear the quote, "87% of Americans consider themselves
>> environmentalists" or something to that effect.  Can ANYONE tell me
>> where this figure may have originated ??? "
>>

>A couple of folks have written back regarding the Roper Polls, which might
>well be the source of the quote, but there are a number of public opinion
>polls over the years that have backed up the notion that a large percentage
>of Americans view themselves as "pro-environment."  In many instances, these
>attitudes (measured via things like support for regulations, awareness
>and/or support of environmental issues, etc) seem to be the one thing that
>people of widely disparate beliefs seem to have in common -- leading one to
>ponder whether or not the Green Party (no relation, I'm sure) might not have
>more potential as a latent political force than people give them credit for.
>

>When looking at these poll data, remember that it is useful to look beyond
>the attitude data and examine actual behavior, and there the results don't
>seem quite as encouraging (I know that I certainly don't live up to my own
>expectations!).  A good (though somewhat dated) resource for this is Walter
>Coddington's 1993 book, "Environmental Marketing:  Positive Strategies for
>Reaching the Green Consumer" (ISBN 0-07-011599-0).   I will drop my copy in
>the mail to you today, if you promise to send it back to me when you are
>done reading it.
>
>BTW, while the Roper Center has its own "pay for use" rate schedule, it can
>be cost-effective to use the "Public Opinion Online" database available via
>DIALOG (see http://library.dialog.com/bluesheets/html/bl0468.html) which
>allows you to search the same Roper POLL data available for a fee from the
>Roper Center web site.  This is particularly true if you have access to a
>local university research library or other such "volume user."    It is a
>very interesting resource, providing poll questions, responses, and the
>supporting statistics for those so inclined.
>
>Hope this helps.
>
>Scott Butner (butner@battelle.org)
>Senior Research Scientist, Environmental Technology Division
>Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
>4000 NE 41st Street, Seattle WA   98105
>(206)-528-3290 voice/(206)-528-3552 fax
>http://www.chemalliance.org/

Program on Solid Waste Policy
School of Forestry and Environmental Studies
Yale University
205 Prospect Street
New Haven,CT 06511-2189  USA
203-432-3253 (telephone)